The West Baton Rouge Parish Library seeks a highly organized and energetic individual to execute quality library programs for individuals of all ages. To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references familiar with your work to:
Tamie Martin, Director
West Baton Rouge Parish Library
830 N. Alexander Ave.
Port Allen, LA 70767
Salary $40,000 yearly, depending on experience.
Applications will be accepted until March 14, 2020.
Plans, coordinates, and implements activities for library programming, special events, author events, system-wide events, and receptions for youth, teens, adults, and families
Essential Job Functions
- Research, make contact and negotiate with potential program presenters
- Lead several programs each month, including obtaining and preparing all necessary materials.
- Supervise set up and cleanup program space and assist presenters
- Prepare in-house publicity and upload events onto social media accounts.
- Evaluate programs by keeping a record of attendance and providing a monthly statistical report
- Speak to community groups as requested
- Attend continuing education programs.
- Maintain current knowledge of library and programming trends.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Independently plan, organize and execute varied tasks as required
- Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with a diverse community and library staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent public speaking abilities.
- Engage community partners, patrons and staff in the promotion of library programs.
- Exhibit flexibility and a willingness to work in a dynamic, busy, and changing environment.
- Work a flexible schedule that includes day, evening and weekend hours.
- Learn and adapt to new and changing technologies.
- Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, Microsoft Windows, and Internet navigation
- Employ basic math skills, including statistics and budgeting.
- Received – Director
- Exercised – none
Work is performed primarily in a library environment while sitting at a desk or computer terminal or standing for a long period of time. Physical exertion may be required to retrieve or replace materials from shelves, high and low and to interact during programs. Sufficient vision or other powers of observation are essential to permit the employee to read and sort library materials and observe the actions of others. The noise level in the work environment is generally quiet.
Education, Training and Experience
- College degree preferred
- Library, programming, or public relations experience preferred
- Public service experience required
- Health, vision, dental and life insurance options
- Inclusion in the Parochial Employees’ Retirement System of Louisiana
- Paid Holidays
- Accrual of vacation and sick leave
This description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.
West Baton Rouge Parish Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.